Friday, November 20, 2009

Dutch way?

It all started in regular Dutch autumn morning (ie a dull cloudy day) in the studio at school. As usually the temperature in there is not far from 0. I had to work together with my group on our Nijmegen presentation. Only that this time I started feeling like the cold is really taking me. I left home, but it was already too late!
I all realized in the windy day while waiting for the delayed train to Den Haag central. People were crowding on the platform, hoping for the train to appear while facing the wind – I started to feel dizzy and unsure if I still want to go to my crap job. What shall it be getting a cold or getting some pocket money?

In the end the economic reasons won. I waited for around 1 hour for the intercity to Den Haag central. Luckily I also asked where what… because the train left from the opposite line which usually goes to Rotterdam so I wouldn’t even have guessed what where.

The waiting in the train was also long. After waiting around 15 minutes in Delft we finally set off to Den Haag. I arrived at work half a hour later, and of course I was asked why. I thought it will get even worse in fact, that he will not hire me anymore. In that case I was seriously considering of writing to the HS to claim damages. But this was in the train while waiting to set off from Delft. But in the end he received the news pretty ok “next time you should call”. The truth is that I would have called if I would have had credit on my phone.. but for the last month I decided that I can live without that as well.

So what is work for me? Well during these days, it represents piles of dishes waiting to be washed, and dried. Funny isn’t it? I wonder how much longer I can still do it. Just recently I took the decision not to do it anymore because of the crap salary (4Euro/h). However I find myself – like in many other occasions – that I am quite resilient – and literally I have no other choice.…. Meanwhile I start with the plastic boxes where they keep the food over night, they all need to be rewashed every morning. After finalizing them I need to pass t to the pizza plates, forks and knives, glasses (I hate those especially when I have to dry them), cups and other smaller plates.

Le Creusets are also hard to wash. They usually have a dry crust from the melted cheese or similar, formed while baking in the ovens. These ones should be left in water for some time in order for the crust to be easier to take out with a short sharp knife.
Other jobs means scrubbing the floors, the toilets and clean up some un-used rooms – when they see me staying for nothing. Hahaha…
For 20 Euros a day for max 3 times a week.

But that day I was tired and I was getting sick. I felt like the room was spinning slowly around me. I start dropping thing from my hands and I feel so tired that I can lay on the stainless steel table next to the cooker and sleep. Usually I am quite high spirited and I like the fact that I can’t talk the language of my working mates who are from middle east. We understand each other through an English, German or Dutch and Italian mix. Funny the pizzeria Pinocchio is in fact an Arab place to eat and drink. In addition to this state, given the fact that there are not too many clients today and so I don’t have much to do, the boss tells me to clean one of the side rooms, filled with construction debris and other sort of crap.

While collecting some bigger chunks of insulating foam and wood pieces and old postcard appears on the floor. Is been stepped over and is all wrinkled. It is from Italy and it is written in Italian - a simple "hello" type of text and regard tot he restaurant. The photo shows a boring city landscape – most likely the center of that respective city from where it was sent from. It was addressed to the Pinocchio restaurant and was send in ’87 from as far I can understand. So Pinocchio in fact has some history in here, it’s not only kitsch wall decorations and cheap paper table mats with Bruegel’s “The Peasants’ wedding”.

After I cleaned the room I go downstairs to tell him that I want to go home. I am tired and sick. I am sick of the job as well. He wants to discuss and re-promise me to make me a contract, He increases my salary to 4.5 Euros/h – g r e a t !

I am heading to the Railway station with a pizza in my bag. My train leaves in 30 minutes, I can still take a quick look at the “Médecins Sans Frontières” exhibition which is in the railway station. Photos taken from around the world illustrating the horrors of humanity, among them also a picture of a man in a beds’ room which was taken in Ukraine but the text was saying something about the communist regime in Romania and the Ceusescu politics – I didn’t got the right point in there because I can’t do Dutch. The exhibition is similar to the exhibition I had seen in Paris years ago. Only that then the image from Romania was far worse: dirty foster kids on some hospital floors (quite a well known image of Romania in Western Europe).
I wonder how much right these pictures give to the image of Romania. Judging after them it seems Romania is trapped in a self-repeating destiny: a bad political regime which affects the citizens. None speaks however of the horrors happening in US or France or Ireland. It makes you wonder where is the line between a country’s image marketing and media ethics.

A woman is watching a picture of a large group of black skinny kids all squatting in front of a men with a stick which is sticking a kid which slightly went off the rows. She looks slightly tired but interested while reading the text following the picture. She is leaning on her left foot while taking hir right foot out of her shoe to relax it a bit. Isn’t this funny: this is how the image of a country is made!

I return to Delft and as soon as I get home I eat and I go to bed. I have fever and sweat a lot. The second day (yesterday) I can’t go to school and I stayed in bed all day. I talked with my family over messanger. They sent me a 10kg package to pick up from Rotterdam tomorrow morning. I bet is food – which is good but not exactly what I was planning to get.

No more existential questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home